How do I know if seeing a Social Worker is right for me?

Social workers provide services to individuals, couples, families, groups, and communities. Many Social Workers in private practice provide different types of counselling or psychotherapy, while others specialize in areas like grief counselling, couples counselling, childhood trauma or phobias. 

When individuals start seeing a social worker, they don’t always know what exact services they need. A registered social worker will help them assess the situation and, from there, will take the individual on as a client or refer the individual to another professional. 

Why should I consult a Social Worker?

People consult social workers when they are going through a difficult period in their personal, family and/or work lives. Social workers help identify the source of stress or difficulty, help people to develop coping skills and find effective solutions to their problems.  They offer various forms of counselling and therapy and mediate between conflicts.

I am unsure if I should see a social worker or another mental health professional, what should I do?

In Canada, there are a number of professions that can assist individuals going through a difficult time and need help. If you have a family doctor, you may want to ask him or her for advice to learn about the options in your community. 

Do I Need a referral to see a Social Worker?

No, but you may wish to discuss this issue with your doctor and obtain a referral to help you obtain coverage from an extended health plan. Not all plans require a doctor's referral. Check your plan to see if it is necessary.

Are Social Work Services in private practice covered by public or private healthcare?

Services of Social Workers in private practice are not covered by public healthcare.  They may be covered under a private health plan or employee group benefits plans; ask your provider. If social work is not currently covered in your extended health plan, request that it be added. 

Please contact Manor Clinic to discuss services offered by our social workers.