Capacity assessment for Guardianship and trusteeship

There are many reasons why an adult may need support in making personal and financial decisions.  These include permanent or temporary illnesses such as a developmental disorder/intellectual disability or dementia that impair an individual’s decision-making capacity.  The Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Act is referred to when an adult may not be able to make decisions on their own about personal or financial matters.


Guardian and/or trustee is appointed for adults whom a qualified capacity assessor has assessed as not having the capacity to make decisions about personal and/or financial matters. A guardian can be a family member, friend, or Public Guardian. A trustee can be a family member, friend, or Public Trustee.


Please visit https://www.alberta.ca/capacity-assessment.aspx for further information about the capacity assessment. 


Please visit https://www.alberta.ca/office-public-guardian-trustee.aspx for further information about the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee (OPGT) in Alberta.


For an application under the Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Act, an adult must undergo a capacity assessment by a psychiatrist, another doctor, or another qualified capacity assessor. 


Please contact Manor Clinic to discuss how our psychiatrists can help complete the Capacity assessment report (CAR).